The FSM, composed of the semi-autonomous states of Pohnpei, Kosrae, Chuuk and Yap, are remote and spread over a wide area of the south Pacific. The distance from Yap, the western-most state, to Kosrae, the eastern-most state, is 2,821km (approximately 70% of the width of Australia). The population density is low, with a total of only 115,000 people. Because of urban migration for job opportunities, especially to Pohnpei where the country’s capital Palikir is located, about 56% of the population live on the four main islands, with the remaining 44% residing on the outer islands.
Most of the roads in the four FSM states are in good to fair condition but the roads in some areas have deteriorated to poor or very poor condition. In each of the states, the roads on the main island are circumferential which opens the possibility of seaside flooding or erosion from rising sea levels. It also means that one part of the ring road that is in poor condition affects all traffic passing along the road and diminishes mobility for everyone. These primary roads provide access to public facilities, economic infrastructure and job opportunities along the coastlines, where most of the population resides, and are a vital means to access public goods and services for coastal communities.
Ganir Bridge to be replaced, Yap
The assignment is intended to test the project approach and prepare an investment project suitable for ADB financing from late 2024. SMEC and OCG’s scope of services include the following:
- Screening road sections for subsequent selection of candidate subprojects for the ensuing investment project
- Piloting the use of advanced road construction technologies including full-depth recycling (FDR) and intelligent compaction
- Undertaking feasibility studies and due diligence on institutional, economic, procurement, climate change, and environmental and social safeguards aspects of the selected subprojects
- Preparing detailed engineering designs and supporting procurement of civil works contracts, including preparation of bid documents and technical procurement support
- Initial capacity building to support the ensuing project’s start-up activities.
The SRIIP is expected to provide companion support to the ongoing World Bank-funded Prioritised Road Investment and Management Enhancement Project (PRIME). Both projects seek to identify and address the most pressing rehabilitation needs for roads and bridges on the FSM island states, with improved climate risk features as needed for the target roads and with support for institutional strengthening of the road authorities in each state.