Provided tender and detailed design services
SMEC provided both tender and detailed design services (in association with GHD and KBR) to the John Holland Group (the design and construct contractor).
SMEC was responsible for the geotechnical, drainage, earthworks, all mainline structures, overbridges and under-bridges, tunnelling, road and property works of the design.
Design services included:
- An 80 m tunnel underpass to pass under the Hume Highway, excavated using a canopy tubes support system
- 14 bridge structures, passing both under and over the railway lines along with all associated structures including culverts and retaining walls
- Drainage, earthworks, flood studies and 12D modelling for the entire alignment of the route
- Geotechnical investigations and analysis for the entire route including foundation assessments for all structures, the Hume Highway underpass, both stations and the stabling yard
- Close liaison with all design partners to ensure full integration at key interfaces including stations, rail alignment, signalling and overhead wiring.
Connecting Sydney’s south-western growth corridor
The Glenfield to Leppington Rail Line Project is an 11.4-kilometre railway project that has connected the suburbs of Glenfield and Leppington in Sydney’s south-western growth corridor, providing an effective and direct link to Sydney’s CBD.